National Council for Teacher Education

   (A Statutory Body of the Government of India)

How to lodge a Grievance/Complaint


Grievance from the stakeholders regarding OTPRMS, release of FDRs, status of pending applications for recognition etc., the same may be sent to the Section Officer (Complaints), NCTE, G-7, Sector-10, Dwarka, New Delhi-110075 for appropriate action thereon.

Grievance regarding the terms and conditions of service of teaching and non-teaching staff including selection procedure, pay scales, age of superannuation and other benefits must be sent to the respective State Government/Affiliating body.


  1. Complaint from public, various administrative authorities and Stakeholders etc. are generally one of the important sources of information for identification of vigilance related issues. Complaint to the NCTE are thus meant to result in punitive action against the erring public servant(s). Relief as such in the matter to the complaint is only incidental to the vigilance action.

  2. The complainant should note:

  3. How can we lodge a complaint to Nodal Officer? Complaints can be lodged to NCTE by addressing the letter directly to the Nodal Officer (Complaints), NCTE and giving the specific facts of the matter. The complaints can also be lodged directly by sending an email: grievance[at]ncte[dash]india[dot]org. However, before lodging the complaint please ensure that the same is under NCTE’s jurisdiction.